Saturday, October 29, 2011

MItered Corners and All...

I think the brakes in my life just went out. The days are flying by and I don't like it. I can't seem to find the time to, well, just breath. Let alone sew. Which is what I really want to do. I would love to finish my Halloween table runner in order to use it some time before, oh, I don't know, HALLOWEEN? Is that too much to ask?

I did knock out my first mitered corner this weekend. Yup. One whole corner. I had to watch a You Tube tutorial 3 times before I figured it out. But-I did it.

I have since found the time to finish all four corners and  am getting ready to quilt. I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm hoping to sew a little this weekend.
I also discovered this really cool fabric from Micheal Miller. Look at those cute scissors! And buttons for the eyes! Might I say that this man is a genious? Quilt Pirates....Naturally I ordered a few yards, as I have several projects that need some 'tude.

This fabric makes me feel like the kick ass quilter I am. At least the one I think I am. Or want to be. Whatever.

I do so love this time of year, however. Check out my super awesome earrings and necklace! They were handmade by my amazingly talented friend Lisa. I may end up wearing my witch year round as it makes me feel a little like the pirate fabric-kick ass.



My kiddos are prepping for Halloween-which is almost better than the actual holiday. Samantha has been running around with a sword and an eyepatch all week, Rudy is a furry blue monster-complete with giant pink tongue, and Carly is rockin' Samantha's chubby spider costume. The very same costume Sam trick-or-treated in with my mom 6 years ago.

Everytime I see my Carly run by with the little spider legs dangling, I think of that Halloween, and wonder how it is possible to feel so much love and sadness all at the same time. I know life isn't fair, and that no matter what, it goes on. But for just one second, I would like to stop and show my mom her youngest grandaughter all dressed up as a little spider.

Samantha and Grandma Bonnie, 2004

2 comments:

vdzlibrarian said...

Wonderful entry Jen. Keep em coming when you have time to breath, (let alone blog). Love your style! Enjoy the family, the sewing, the friendships and memories. I know this is one of your favorite times of the year. Big hugs! See you in less than a month.

Rowan Miller said...

I do miss Lisa.